After more than four months apart, tonight we got to see Misty Pearl again. She now hails from Scottsdale, which we acknowledge is a bit odd but we think it looks cool.
The cross-country trip was uneventful as hoped. Classic country songs provided a great soundtrack, referencing—among other places we passed—Phoenix, Tucson, El Paso, Abilene, Fort Worth, Dallas, Shreveport, Bossier City, Jackson (where Dana was hotter than a pepper sprout), Atlanta, Charleston, and Richmond. 2600 miles with only one low-fuel warning. Amazing.
A moment to address weather. It was about 75 degrees with blue skies when we left Arizona. We enjoyed temperatures between 65 and 75 and those same blue skies the entire way to South Carolina, which of course we took as unequivocal proof that we would have great weather forever. The plan to meet Misty Pearl and delivery captains Jerry and Wendy Taylor in D.C. tonight was as good as done.
As the Taylors got underway yesterday out of the yard in Mathews, VA, however, they discovered a leaking hatch and a bum heater in the master cabin. The heater is no big deal because the weather is perfect, right? Wrong. Turns out government and traffic are not the only crappy things about Washington. The weather sucks too. Tomorrow and Wednesday we face below-freezing temperatures and snow. SNOW. Unbelievable.
Given the forecast, the heater became pretty dang critical. Zimmerman agreed to work on it today—and to rebed the forward hatch and fix a few other things that cropped up—at the yard in Deltaville. Since nobody wanted to battle the Potomac River upstream in snow and freezing rain, no way we were moving on board in D.C. today. But we still had a trailer full of stuff that we needed to store. The soundtrack for this segment was a wailing baby. Grrrrr.
Oh well, no time like the present to realize the liveaboard need for flexibility and patience. Up to Washington, rent a car, put the trailer stuff in storage, park Dana’s car at our marina, and drive the rental car three hours to Deltaville. We’ll do the interior systems during the foul weather and leave the rental car. If the storms break on Thursday, we’ll take the Taylors about 30 miles up the Potomac to Colonial Beach and drop them off. Maybe we can reach National Harbor on Friday before the next snow/rain storm hits this weekend. We have no idea when we might get to The Yards, which still is our final destination until we start looping in earnest towards the end of May.
Tne dogs have been fantastic travelers.